A Little History
Orcutt Presbyterian Church began as the original Christian fellowship in the southern part of the Santa Maria Valley through the ministry of an itinerant evangelist and Presbyterian pastor, Rev. Sloan, who began church planting here in 1904. The fledgling church opened the doors of their first sanctuary in 1907. Over the years we have been participated in several different Christian traditions and continue to welcome believers from a variety of backgrounds. Since 1941 we have officially affiliated with the Presbyterian and Reformed stream of the Christian faith.
We have been fortunate to enjoy long pastorates in our senior pastors:
Rev. Bob Wedaa served for 25 years from 1969-1994
and our current pastor, Rev. Bruce Lethbridge has been serving OPC since 1996.
As of April 2014, we have been a part of newer denomination that seeks to be movement that plants churches and makes disciples of Jesus Christ. The movement is called ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. We seek to be a community of faith, hope, and love that points people to the Lord Jesus Christ who alone is our Savior.
Pictured on the left: Rev. Sloan reached out to the community with his chuck wagon before the building of a sanctuary.
Pictured in the middle: The first sanctuary was built in 1907 in Old Orcutt (Pacific and Union)
Pictured on the right: Rev. Bob Wedaa celebrates communion at Lake Lopez in 1973 at an All-Church Campout